Vale Sr Clare Conway RSM
It is with sadness that I share the news that Sister Clare Conway has passed away.
Sr Clare has a long history associated with our College, in particular St Mary’s. She was a student boarder from 1942 – 1945 and was on staff from 1951 to 1971 teaching Home Economics and in charge of preparations for the Mercy Sports Association competition. After school and on weekends she would often escort boarders to various sporting activities.
From 1972 – 1985 Sr Clare continued teaching elsewhere but returned to Bendigo in 1986 and taught at the junior campus (La Valla) at the commencement of the amalgamation of Marist College and St Mary’s. Sr Clare then left Bendigo for a period but returned in 2005.
Until recently Sr Clare lived in Bethlehem Nursing home where she had moved from the McAuley community (across the road from St Mary’s).
Our thoughts and prayers are with Sr Clare, her family and the Sisters of Mercy grieving her passing.
A detailed recollection of Sr Clare’s life will be published in the next newsletter.
Rest peacefully Sr Clare.
Sr Clare Conway RSM, student, teacher and Sister of Mercy.
I thought it timely to update you on some staff movements and changes for Term 3 and Term 4 2019. Some staff will be on leave and with others filling those gaps the consequence is a flow on of role changes.
For parents, contacting the College regarding student learning or other enquiries, you should initially refer to the Subject Teacher, Mentor or Year Level Learning Leader. Your child’s Mentor and subject teachers are available via PAM. A full list of positions of leadership is below.
We wish Mr Tim Edwards, Deputy Principal Coolock, safe travels as he embarks on a family trip for long service leave through Term 3. We have also farewelled Mr Nick Melaisis who was Learning and Teaching Director at Coolock as he has left the College to be with family in Sydney.
I am pleased to announce to you the following staff changes:
- Mr Len Watson: Acting Deputy Principal – Coolock (Term 3)
- Mrs Sharna Frawley: Acting Director of Pastoral Care – Coolock (Term 3)
- Mrs Karen Lichnovsky: Acting Director of Learning and Teaching – Coolock (Semester 2)
- Ms Lia Shaw: Acting Interdisciplinary Learning Leader (Semester 2)
Since the introduction of the new staffing structure and curriculum we have be considering refinements as gaps appear. The area in which we currently need extra resources is learning enrichment.
With the further establishment of the NCCD (Nationally Consistent Collection of Data) and NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme), the demands of the learning enrichment role are just too big for one person across the College. We have decided to introduce a second person to share the load across the two campuses:
- Mrs Tammy Goggin: Acting Learning Enrichment Leader – Coolock (Semester 2)
Positions of Leadership
- Principal: Mr Brian Turner
- Deputy Principal – St Mary’s: Mr Ben Fitzpatrick
- Acting Deputy Principal – Coolock: Mr Len Watson
- Deputy Principal Faith & Mission: Mrs Trish Schofield
- Business Manager: Mr James Bennett
- Learning & Teaching Director (St Mary’s): Mr Matthew Angove
- Acting Learning & Teaching Director (Coolock): Mrs Karen Lichnovsky
- Pastoral Care Director – St Mary’s: Mr Matthew Smith
- Acting Pastoral Care Director – Coolock: Mrs Sharna Frawley
- Data Moderator: Mrs Gina Giblin
- ICT Coordinator: Mr David Mitchell
- Activities Leader: Mr Stephen Evans
- Year Level Leaders – Year 7: Mrs Alana Burke and Mr Damian Driscoll
- Year Level Leaders – Year 8: Mrs Jan Lake and Miss Cara Lewis
- Year Level Leaders – Year 9: Mrs Selinna Bartved Forward and Mr Kerrin Smith
- Year Level Leaders – Year 10: Mr Colin Hogan and Ms Kym Wilton
- Year Level Leaders – Year 11: Mr Richard Graham and Mrs Maria Slater
- Year Level Leaders – Year 12: Ms Fiona Bell and Mrs Suzie Kemp
- Interdisciplinary Learning Leaders: Mrs Ember Chittenden, Mr Daniel McKee, Ms Lia Shaw Mr Glenn Solomons
- Learning Enrichment Leader – Coolock: Mrs Tammy Goggin
- Learning Enrichment Leader – St Mary’s: Mrs Angela McIntosh
I wish all our families a safe and enjoyable winter break.
Brian Turner, Principal