Careers events throughout April
Sitting the SATs?
Year 12 students planning to apply for US Colleges may need to sit the SATs on 4 May. To prepare for the test, Crimson Education is hosting a preparation webinar which will cover:
- The key elements of the SAT
- The importance of the SAT for US College applications
- The ultimate 4-week study plan to improve your scores!
- The common mistakes students make
- The best resources to optimise your time
- What else admission officers look for
The webinar will be held on 6 April 2019. For information, go to https://bit.ly/2FMwBpg
Werribee Open Range Zoo
Keeper for a Day: 10, 12 and 15 April.
Are you in Years 7 to 12 and an aspiring zookeeper? Find out what it takes to care for an amazing array of animals at the Werribee Open Range Zoo. Learn how you can help to fight extinction and be a hero for wildlife.
For information and to book your place, go to http://bit.ly/2n79TeZ
Macleay College is a private institute in Melbourne offering vocational and higher education courses. You can book a 1:1 appointment with a course adviser from the following faculties:
- Advertising & Media
- Business and Marketing
For information and to book your ‘coffee and chat’ appointment, go to https://bit.ly/2UyutGG
William Angliss is a specialist institute in Melbourne offering vocational and higher education courses in flight operations, patisserie, baking, meat processing, food studies, culinary management, and hotel management. You can book a 1:1 appointment with a course adviser by filling out an online form at this link – https://bit.ly/2TBnlvZ
The University of Melbourne
A Day at Melbourne University: this is an immersive event for Year 10 students being held at the University on 13 April between 9am – 2.30pm. You will be able to:
Tour the Parkville campus
- Sit in on inspiring sample lectures and thought-provoking information sessions
- Hear from current students about their journey from High School to university
- Attend the course and student services expo and have all your questions answered
For information and to register your place, go to https://bit.ly/2TSbQ42
Melbourne JD & LSAT information session: this is for students who are interested in studying graduate law at the University – The Juris Doctor and finding out about the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT). The event will be held on 14 April, https://bit.ly/2Hqo5yk
Academy of Interactive Entertainment
Industry Experience Day: The Academy of Interactive Entertainment is a private college in Melbourne offering vocational and higher education courses in Game Art & Animation, Game Programming, Game Design & Production, 3D Animation & VFX for Film and Virtual Worlds.
They will be running an Industry Experience Day for prospective students and gaming workshops on Wednesday 17 April. For information and to register, go to www.aie.edu.au
Day in the life of a fashion illustrator
Box Hill Institute is running this workshop for prospective students who would like to develop skills in fashion design and also to start to develop a folio to support their entry into tertiary courses. The workshop will run on Friday 12 April at the Nelson campus. For information and to book your place, go to https://bit.ly/2OFoca4
The Hotel School Melbourne offers higher education courses in Hotel Management and International Tourism & Hotel Management. Prospective students have the opportunity to experience life as a Hotel student on Wednesday 10 April, from 12pm – 1.30pm.
Students will learn about courses at the institute, careers in hotel and tourism management, hear from graduates, and meet business leaders from the Hotel Management industry. For information and to register your place, go to https://bit.ly/2O8uqP9
La Trobe University
Experience Clever Day: Prospective students and their families are invited to participate in the ‘Experience Clever’ program at the Melbourne Bundoora campus on Friday 12 April. You will be able to:
- Participate in three workshops of your choice or a ‘Clever Talk’
- Speak to course advisers
- Participate in a campus/accommodation tour
Registrations are now open, http://bit.ly/2p07y7b
Examples of course areas covered at the event include:
- Biomedicine, Physics, Anatomy, Physiology
- Nursing & Midwifery, Physiotherapy & Podiatry, Orthoptics, Paramedicine, Occupational Therapy, etc.
- Commerce, Bloomberg Trading Room, Accounting, Economics & Finance
- Media Industries & Communication, Journalism
- Events Management, Marketing, and Public Relations
- Creative Arts
- Cybersecurity, Computer Science
- Teaching, History, Archaeology, Languages, Criminology, Law
- Politics and International Relations
- Psychology & Social Work
- Sport degrees, Sport & Exercise Science
- Agriculture, Wildlife Sanctuary
Step on Campus: During the school holidays you are invited to experience Deakin University through their Step on Campus program. You will be taken on a 45-minute tour of your chosen campus by a current Deakin University student.
You will be able to:
- Tour the campus of your choice (Melbourne, Geelong Waterfront, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Warrnambool).
- Find out about university life, including clubs and societies and student services.
- Learn about courses
- Ask about on campus accommodation
For information on dates, locations, and to register, go to http://bit.ly/2mHwAJC
Engineering: tour the Engineering Faculty and learn about courses, pathways, and entry requirements, https://bit.ly/2W81rxZ
Campus tours: have a guided tour of the Clayton and/or Peninsular campuses, https://bit.ly/2TNzRIP
Stoichiometry Revision Day – open to Year 12 students studying Chemistry. Wednesday 10 April, https://bit.ly/2O8gAMU
Charles Sturt University
Explore Day: Charles Sturt University is running ‘Explore Day’ at the Wagga Wagga campus on 15 and 16 (repeat) April. Students will be able to explore courses and careers in undergraduate:
- Veterinary science
- Veterinary technology
- Animal science
- Equine science
Students will also be able to choose one of two hands-on workshops in animal anatomy or a farm tour. For information and to register your place, go to https://bit.ly/2T1AFoJ
According to the 2018 Australian Jobs Report, the following five industries are expected to have the highest jobs growth over the next three years:
- Healthcare & social assistance
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
- Education & Training
- Accommodation & Food Services
More information – https://bit.ly/2JWkV7i
Deakin offers graduate medicine. This means you will need to complete an undergraduate degree first. An information session is being run on Wednesday 10 April at the Waurn Ponds campus https://bit.ly/2U7ecLD
The Australian College of Nursing is hosting a Nursing and Health Expo on Saturday 27 April at The Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre between 8.30am – 1.30pm.
You will be able to:
- Meet a range of nursing and health organisations
- Explore career pathways
- Find out about educational opportunities
For more information, go to https://bit.ly/2Iw332H
Applying for Medicine, Dentistry or Oral Health?
If you are in Year 12 and plan to apply for any of these health science courses to start in 2020, you may need to sit the University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT).
The UCAT is a two-hour, computer-based test which assesses a range of mental abilities identified by universities as important to practicing in the fields of medicine and dentistry.
It consists of five separately timed subtests which each contain a number of questions in a multiple-choice format.
You will sit the test in July 2019 and selected universities use your UCAT results as part of the selection process, in conjunction with your ATAR and HSC/VCE results, and in some cases, an interview.
You will only have one chance to sit the UCAT this year and you will need to register for a Pearsons VUE online account by 16 May and book the test by 17 May. Applications are now open and It will cost you around $298 to sit the test. You will be able to receive your results straight away.
It is important to note that the universities who use the UCAT do not endorse any of these companies and you can access free preparation materials from the UCAT site at https://bit.ly/2tjIewA
Please go to https://www.ucat.edu.au/ for more information about the UCAT.
Interested in IT or Accounting?
The University of Technology Sydney co-op scholarship program is now open for the Bachelor of Accounting and Bachelor of Information Technology for the 2020 intake. For information and to apply, go to:
- Bachelor of Accounting, tax free scholarship worth $51,500, https://bit.ly/2Wdjhzz
- Bachelor of Information Technology, scholarship worth $49,500, https://bit.ly/2TepTvH
Dates for Your Diary
- 3 – Applications open- selected NSW and Canberra courses, Universities Admissions Centre, www.uac.edu.au
- 3 – 30 Inside Monash Seminars, Monash University, MD & Biomedical Science (3), Science (4), Criminology (30), Law (30), http://bit.ly/2ki2NYw
- 10 – JD and LSAT Information Session, Melbourne Law School, The University of Melbourne, https://bit.ly/2Hqo5yk
- 10 – 18: Step on Campus, Deakin University, all campuses, http://bit.ly/2mHwAJC
- 12 – Experience Clever Day, La Trobe University, Melbourne campus, http://bit.ly/2p07y7b
- 12 – Day in the life of a fashion illustrator, Box Hill Institute, https://bit.ly/2OFoca4
- 13 – A Day at Melbourne, University of Melbourne, Parkville, https://bit.ly/2TSbQ42
- 12 – 24 Monash University, Guided campus tours, Clayton and Peninsular campuses, https://bit.ly/2TNzRIP
- 15, 16 – Explore Day, Charles Sturt University, Veterinary Science, Animal Science etc., Wagga Wagga, https://bit.ly/2GmQV1b
- 17 – Industry Experience Day, Academy of Interactive Entertainment, Melbourne, https://aie.edu.au/
- 27 – Nursing Careers Expo, Australian College of Nursing, Melbourne, https://bit.ly/2Iw332H