Catherine McAuley College has a proud tradition dating back to 1876 when Sister Aloysius Martyn and the Sisters of Mercy first arrived in Bendigo. For over 140 years, the Sisters of Mercy have given extraordinary service to the Bendigo community. Inspired by their foundress, Catherine McAuley, the Sisters have educated thousands of children and worked tirelessly wherever their help was needed.
Bishop Crane requests Baggot Street, Ireland send a community of Sisters to Bendigo to provide education for the children of the goldfields.
Mother Aloysius Martyn leads a group of Sisters from Swinford in Ireland to establish a mission in Bendigo. They endure a terrifying sea voyage and sweltering heat to arrive in Bendigo in January 1876. They take over the established Parish School of St Kilian's and open the St Aloysius Select School in Barkly Place.
Extension of the original house purchased from Mr Andrew Thunder in 1876. Building of the Chapel.
Completion of the school hall and dormitories above. School reopened as St Mary’s College by Archbishop of Melbourne Most Rev Dr Thomas Carr.
150 Acres purchased at Junortoun and building commenced.
Opening of the cream brick building at St Mary's College on the corner of View and Barkly Streets.
Acquisition of the former Abbott family home in Barkly Terrace, renamed St Catherine's.
Acquisition of 'Denderah' following the death of Sir George Victor Lansell. The property is renamed Coolock House and included landscaped gardens, a tennis court and swimming pool.
Opening of the two storey building and canteen facilities on Barkly Street (now known as the Kelly Building).
Amalgamation of St Mary's College and Marist Brothes' College Bendigo to form Catholic College Bendigo.
All year levels co-educational.
Closed McCrae Street to consolidate into two campuses: Barkly Street (now known as Coolock) and Junortoun (now known as LaValla).
Opening of the Science Building, La Valla.
Opening of the Technology Building, La Valla.
Opening of the Marian Centre, Coolock.
Opening of the Agriculture, Horticulture and Labratory Skills Centre at La Valla, hosted on behalf of the Bendigo Schools Trade Training Centre Consortium.
Opening of the English Learning Centre, Coolock.
Catholic College Bendigo comes under the sole governance of the Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea.
Offical opening of the St Mary's Courtyard, Coolock.